Industrial basement with exposed ductwork including before & after photos, and our paint swatches at the bottom of this post. I also share the benefits and exact cost of our remodel!
Industrial Basement with Exposed Ductwork
We remodeled our basement in industrial style in 2012, the complete remodel ran about $16K which is cheap compared to the original quote of $35K! We made a few decisions that saved us a LOT of money.
I paid the original builder to expand the crawlspace to include a full, open basement and a 4′ bump out extension to our floorplan (which made this area even wider). I paid extra to have 9 foot ceilings.
The exposed duct work was spray painted for only $400 (which saved us about $2500 in drywall costs). As the kids got older, it was time to give them their teen hangout. So we needed a finished basement!
Even though we hired out a contractor for the build, our DIY contribution on this project wasn’t small. We created the floorplan, and all the finish work (like the trim we did upstairs). We chose to hire a contractor to install drywall, trim, electrical, plumbing and hung doors. I am not altruistic when it comes to DIY; I do it myself when it makes sense. At some point, DIY has allowed us to “pay it forward” to hire contractors as needed. So now the fun begins and we start the finish work and giving the basement some “personality”.
Part I: The Floorplan. Here are the gains we made with this remodel
What we gained:
1) 818 additional square feet of living space. (Now this space is a fully functioning in-law suite).
2) 349 square feet of unfinished storage. (Which is now an extremely messy furniture painting studio for ME!)
3) The complete addition of a full bathroom with a standup shower. Pictures of this to come! (we had our contractor alter our sewer lines and drilled through concrete). A teenage paradise.
4) The addition of a full guest room (with glass French doors). This is now being converted to a studio / office / craft room.
5) Exposed ductwork / painted ceiling for $400. (Saving us $2,500 in drywall costs).
6) Polished concrete floors with stencil application (soon).
New Home Building Tip: (always, always, always upgrade square footage when building your home!) I prioritized my new home building costs towards square footage upgrades, and saved my budget on finish work, (which I could always DIY later).
Above: our overloaded storage (from combining two houses)
From the bottom of the stairs…looking towards the future bar and the bathroom.
Basement bar (our idea). Our utility door wasn’t pretty and we struggled knowing with what to do with that space.
Another huge savings – no carpeting. When we sold the house we avoided the buyer-seller negotiation requesting carpet replacement discounts!
We LOVE the results and so did our buyers. We won’t opt for this style in our new house, but we feel we did the right thing and gave our kids a space they are already enjoying.
I realize this is not everyone’s taste, but for us, it was an economic way to solve a problem plus and created a very cool-looking, much needed “man cave” that was loved by our millennial buyers.