After living in the house 5 months, our $95 kitchen remodel went a long way to modernize the kitchen until we could afford a more expensive remodel. Next we plan to update the floors, repurpose the island and add tile. (Click here to read the Today.com article!)
When Mark and I put an offer in on this house in July 2018, we knew that a kitchen remodel was in our future. While we are saving for a more expensive remodel, we know first hand that updating your kitchen cabinetry with a fresh coat of paint can increase the show-ability and the value of your home. (Click here to see our last kitchen paint project!)
The kitchen paint supplies cost $95! Now we are up to 10 spaces that we’ve remodeled in 4 months (if you include the dinette area adjacent to the kitchen)! There is still a lot left to do, but we’re happy with the results so far.
The paint colors we chose:
- Kitchen Cabinets // We chose the Valspar Cabinet Enamels paint line at Lowe’s — they mixed in a Benjamin Moore color called “Graystone”.
- Kitchen Island // Peppercorn (also mixed in the Valspar Cabinet Enamels)
Here is a reminder of the before:
I’ll share more photos on a sunnier day once we have all the hardware installed. This kitchen mini-remodel took a lot less time than my previous house. I didn’t remove the cabinets and used an artist brush around the hinges and around the door openings. I only had to lightly hand sand (I had to do heavy sanding with the deep grain oak in the past). I applied primer followed by 2 coats of Valspar. So easy this time!
Kitchen Remodel To-Do List:
The paint and hardware is just a temporary solution for the kitchen (we always say that) but there are a few things we still would like to change:
- New countertops // The pale pink just doesn’t quite suit us 🙂
- New sink // we would like a white or stainless sink. The current black sink is pretty scratched up.
- Tiled Backsplash // this time, tile. We had a stenciled kitchen backsplash before, so we’d like to upgrade just a bit in this kitchen.
- Add open shelving // We’d like to remove a few of the upper cabinets and redesign our pantry (the big, obtrusive cabinet on the right).
- Rebuild & extend the island // We’ve repurposed our kitchen island in our previous house, so we’d like something a little prettier and more substantial. We’d also like to extend the seating arrangement in there.
- Add window seating // I’d like to change the bay area into a smaller seating arrangement. Right now an old buffet is there which will work perfectly for extra counter space until we change the island.
- Change chandelier & add pendants // I’m thinking 2-3 pendant lights over the “new” island, another over the sink. Then of course, changing the chandelier.
- New Hardware // we are waiting for new antique brass cup pulls to arrive tomorrow, just in time for Christmas.
- New flooring // we miss our dark floors from the old house, but these can’t be installed until we make some final decisions about our island layout.
Kitchen Sources & Those Baskets!
Also, I’ve had a few people ask about the tip I shared during my appearance on the Rachael Ray Show about hiding mail. The baskets and all sources can be found below!